The Number “28”
Symbolism and Meaning
- The number 28 combines cyclic times: 4 and the evolutionary times: 7. “It is the spiral of the evolution unfolding among the perpetual cycles of nature; it is the being progressed in the permanent oscillations of the Cosmos”.
- Second perfect number because this number is equal to the sum of its aliquot parts.
- It is the number of chapters of the Gospel of Matthew and also of the Acts of the Apostles.
- Ecclesiastes, in the chapter 3 verses 2 to 8, enumerates 28 “times” in these 7 verses: There is a time for giving birth and a time for dying, for planting and for uprooting what has been planted, to kill and heal, to destroy and build, to cry and laughter, to mourn and dance, to throw stones away and to gather them, to embrace and to refrain from embracing, to search and lose, to keep and discard, to tear and sew, for keeping silent and to speak, to love and to hate, and finally a time for war and a time for peace.
- Jehu reigned for 28 years on Israel to Samaria. (2 K 10,36)
- The book of Mark has 28 direct Old Testament quotations.
- There are 28 writers of the Old Testament (Amos, Daniel, David, Davidic priests, Esther, Ezekiel, Ezra, Habakkuk, Haggai, Hezekiah, Hosea, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Job, Joel, Jonah, Joshua, Malachi, Micah, Mordecai, Moses, Nahum, Nehemiah, Obadiah, Ruth, Samuel, Solomon, Zechariah, Zephaniah).
- In Judaism, the value associated with “Koach” meaning strength, commonly used in the saying “Yasher Koach”
- Twenty-eight armed Pharisees escort Jesus when he bears his Cross until the Golgotha, according to visions of Ann-Catherine Emmerich.
- The 28 signs of the cross performed by the priest to the mass.
- The number of days that would have contemplated Buddha under the fig tree, according to Buddhists, corresponding to one lunar month.
- The 28 paradisiac or angelic levels which exist above the human state, according to the Brahmans.
- The 28 Izeds in the Persian religion.
- Osiris reigned 28 years.
- In Cabal and in Hinduism, one day and one night of Brahma are equivalent to 28 existences of Indra.
- The number 28 has an important role in the Julian calendar since it corresponds to the solar cycle of 28 years to the end of which the days of the week return to the same days of the month. In the 6th century, Denys the Small used this solar cycle that he multiplied with the lunar cycle of 19 years to obtain the Easter cycle of 532 years – 19 x 28. In a period of 532 years counted according to the Julian calendar, the feasts of Easter follow one another in the same order at the same date.
- While 7 is the number of (spiritual perfection) the numbers 1+2+3+4+5+6+7= 28. 2+8=10. “10” is also “1” or the number of the creator which is unique in numerology.
- Twenty-eight resonates with a multitude of natural energies and is a welcome addition to any natural energetic system wishing to combine the energies of Man, creation, and God
- 28 is comprised of the factors of the numbers seven and four. Seven is the number of (God’s word) and four is the number of (creation.) Its mathematical properties also create a philosophical harmony with many occulted principals and philosophies.
- Inside the Great Pyramid, 28 miniature tombs are sculpted in the “wall of stone” of the Great Gallery.
- Socrates fixes to 28 members the contingent of the first Master’s team.
- The Chinese have a zodiac of 28 animals.
- The 28 lunar houses – seven times four.
- The number of days of the “emotional” cycle in the biorhythm.
- Age to which the man generally finishes his growth.
- Twenty-eight heartbeats are necessary in order that a red globule traverses all the circuit of our body.
- The menstrual cycle of the woman is approximately 28 days.
- It is the number of letters of the Arab and Spanish alphabet. It is also the number of letters of the alphabet that we find in the teaching of the Koran and so, it takes the aspect of the mystical revelation, the closer to the truth because it is claimed that the face of God would be made of 32 letters.
- Anniversary of marriage: tourmaline weddings.
- Twenty-eight is the sum of the totient function for the first nine integers.
- Since the greatest prime factor of 282 + 1 = 785 is 157, which is more than 28 twice, 28 is a Størmer number.
- Twenty-eight is a harmonic divisor number, a happy number, a triangular number, a hexagonal number, and a centered nonagonal number.
- It appears in the Padovan sequence, preceded by the terms 12, 16, 21 (it is the sum of the first two of these).
- It is also a Keith number because it recurs in a Fibonacci-like sequence started from its base 10 digits: 2, 8, 10, 18, 28…[
- Twenty-eight is the third positive integer with a prime factorization of the form 22q where q is an odd prime.
- Twenty-eight is the ninth and last number in early Indian magic square of order 3.
- There are twenty-eight convex uniform honeycombs.
- Twenty-eight is the only positive integer that has a unique Kayles nim-value.
- Twenty-eight is the only known number which can be expressed as a sum of the first non negative integers (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7), a sum of the first primes (2 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 11) and a sum of the first non primes (1 + 4 + 6 + 8 + 9) and there is probably no other number with this property.
- There are 28 oriented diffeomorphism classes of manifolds homeomorphic to the 7-sphere.
- The atomic mass of silicon.
- The atomic number of nickel.
- The fourth magic number in physics.
- The curing time of concrete is classically considered 28 days.
- The average human menstrual cycle is 28 days although no link has been established with the night lighting and the Moon.
- The apparent rotation time of the surface of the Sun at its equator as viewed from Earth is about 28 days while its core revolves in 33 days.